Already in pre-historic times Sineu must have been inhabited because remains have been found such as the Talayot of Son Creixell, Sa Ritxla, Sa Ritxoleta, Son Rossinyol and Son Vanrell.
Some experts want to relate Sineu (Sinium) with a place named Guium of the Roman Mallorca, which quotes Pliny the Elder (NH 3, 77) with a certain amount of population.
In more recent times, the Muslim presence in the lands of Sineu were integrated in the district of Yiynau-Bitra, after the conquest it was integrated in the royal part and was transferred to Paborde of Tarragona.
In the year 1248 according to a papal bull of the Pope Innocent IV a church existed that was dedicated to Saint Mary.
The nucleus of the population acquired the Title of Royal Town in the year 1300, and during the Medieval Age it was a village that stood out owing to the construction of a royal residence ( today it has almost disappeared under a convent of enclosed nuns) and the headquarters of the ‘Veguer de Fora’. Of this age, the famous Wednesday Market is conserved, which contains plenty of livestock and agricultural products. Nowadays it is a touristic attraction.
Until the year 1925, Sineu had included in its municipality the town of Lloret de Vistalegre, which after various unsuccessful attempts in the XIX century, managed to become separate.
Being a part of the ‘Pla de Mallorca’, the relief is basically flat, without any big geographical changes. However, mention must be made of two structures that alter this geographical flatness: the Monte de Sant Nofre (255 metres) and the Monte de Reig (206 metres). The municipality includes small nucleuses of population with the names of Son Rossinyol, Son Robí, Reig del Canonge, Sant Nofre, el Talaiot, Son Creixell, Sa Ritxla, Sa Ritxoleta and Son Vanrell.
It has bounderies with Costitx, Inca, Llubí, María de la Salud, Ariany, Petra, San Juan and Lloret de Vistalegre.
Places of interest
The building which most stands out in Sineu is the parish church of Santa María de Sineu. The church (already documented in the year 1248) suffered a terrible fire in the year 1505, which resulted in the building of a new temple of Gothic style as the previous one. In the years 1880 and 1881 a variety of extensions were made: these included a cross-bearer, a large star- shaped dome with an octagonal base and a new upper part. The temple has one nave with some chapels at the sides. At the end of the XX century and the beginning of the XXI century a series of restorations were done to the temple, which were finished in the year 2007, with the installation of the seven bells in the parish steeple.
Next to the church in front of the square of San Marcos the rectory can be found; on the inside it is possible to visit an exhibition of medieval ceramics of Sineu. Just in front of this building there is the monument popularly called "the Lion"; it is a copper structure of the year 1945, a lion with wings, symbolising the evangelist symbol of San Marcos, who holds the coat of arms of Sineu with one of its front legs. In the street called Calle Sant Francesc there is the magnificent Town Hall, which occupies the old building of the Convent of the ‘Mínimos’, with its cloister from the XV century situated on the side of another church, of Baroque style, built during the XVIII century.
The Palace of the Kings of Mallorca is a building that was re constructed during the reign of the King Jaume II of Mallorca, at the beginning of the XIV century. It was built over a place where before there had been a building of Islamic origin. In the year 1583 a community of conceptionist nuns was installed, and still continues until the present day. In the XVII century, the convent was enlarged and reformed, resulting in the architectural unit as we know it today, where typical elements of a fortified palace and of a typical enclosed convent can be seen. At the side of the Palace, the church of Baroque style can be found.
In the same street as the hospital, the building of the Oratory of San José, founded in the XIII century is to be found. Although the Oratory conserves some elements of its original Gothic style, nowadays we find a building that has been modified many times throughout its history.
The building of the train station, from the beginnings of the XX century, also has within its walls the Art Centre of Sineu, where the works of well-known contemporary artists are exhibited.
Through the old streets of Sineu a variety of crosses and some wells of medieval origin can be found, as well as antique wind mills, which remind us of the importance that the cultivation of cereals had.