The name of Porto Cristo comes from the landing on shore of a vessel with an image of Christ and one of the Virgin with child in arms dating back to around the year 1260. While being in a terrible storm at sea, the crew made a promise, if they managed to arrive safely to land, to leave the images of Christ and the Virgin in this place. Finally they arrived safe and sound to the Bay of Porto Cristo, where they fulfilled their promise by leaving the images there.
Cuevas del Drach. A collection of natural underground caves running for about 1700m and with one of the largest underground lakes of the world.
Cuevas del Hams. Another set of underground caves.
La Torre dels Falcons. A watchtower from the XVI century situated at the end of the Avenue with the name of Joan Servera Camps from where excellent views can be seen of the bay, the lighthouse and the nearest coastal villages.
Basílica de Sa Carrotja. Remains of an early Christian basilica from the IV century.
Las Cuevas Blancas. Other caves facing the sea which were once inhabited by fishermen until the end of the XIX century known for their unusual whitish colour and which can be accessed by a path which goes the whole length of the bay.
Market day is Sunday and it is located in the Passeig de la Sirena opposite to the port and to the beach. It used to be in front of the church.
The date of the local festivity is the 16 of July in honour of the Virgin of Carmen, the patron saint of the village.