The word 'Campanet' is a mozarabism which is derived from the late Latin "capanna" and from the plural Arabic "kapanät", which means a set of huts.
Campanet was founded by the King Jaime I, from where the crown and four rods on its coat of arms comes from. According to the distribution book of the Monarchy, Campanet was made into a parish, together with Ullaró, Sa Pobla and Búger all forming one parish. The church of San Miguel, which was built in the year 1248, just after the Catalonian conquest, was the nucleus of the municipality.
Until the year 1300 Campanet was integrated in the jurisdiction of Inca, this year, due to the politics of Jaime II of Mallorca in founding villages. Then it was to form part of Sa Pobla , municipality as from the year 1315. In the year 1366, for concession of 'Pedro el Ceremonioso', Campanet obtained its independence, together with Búger and Ullaró. The last modification to the locality in question occurred in the year 1823, with the independence of Búger.
A walk around Campanet permits the visitor see architecture very typical of the villages of the Tramuntana Mountain Range. In Campanet there are various examples of antique mansion houses as well as popular and traditional examples of architecture. Examples of the first mentioned are the 'puestas de Massana (calle Mayor, 7) and the Biniatró (Calle de San Miguel, 20). As well as these 'puestas' are the mansion houses of Can Ferrer Nou (Cantón des Càrritx, 21), Ca'n Muntaner (Cantón des Càrritx, 27) or Can n'Aranvet, (Calle de la Cruz, 34). The parish church can also be seen, which is situated in the centre of the town and is of Neo-Gothic style. It was built in the XVIII century and it stands out for its rose window in the middle of the facade. One of the most interesting places of the village is 'San Miguel', where one can find the hermit of San Miguel, built in the year 1248, soon after the Catalonian conquest. Very near to it, can be found the haughty fountains, the most famous geological phenomenon of Mallorca. The Caves of de Campanet can also be found in San Miguel.
The economy of Campanet has been based until almost the forties of the XX century, exclusively on an agricultural basis. As from the year 1945 the shoe industry began to play an important role in the village as during that year 422.000 pairs of shoes were made with destination to Mallorca, Cuba and the Armed Forces. Nowadays, the main sectors are building, tourism in the area of Alcúdia and the industries and services of Inca and Palma de Mallorca.