The archaeological remains show that the human occupation of Artá began in the pre-talaiotic period although the majority of findings that can be seen today correspond to the megalithic talaiotic period (the town of 'Ses Païsses' and 'talaiot de sa Canova').
Antique History (3500 BC - 900 AD)
Without a doubt, the Roman domination also left its mark and during the Muslims period, the peninsula of Artá (Yartan) was one of the thirteen districts into which the island of Mallorca had been divided. This district included what are today the municipalities of Capdepera and Son Servera.
The Middle Ages (IV - XV)
The foundation of the village is connected to the arrival of some monks who, during the Christian reconquest founded the priory of Santa María de Bellpuig. Until the XV century, the name of the village was "Almudaina" and the name of Artá designated all the territory of the district.
The Modern Age (XVIII - XX)
Between the XVI and XVIII century, the population increased considerably. The main economic activities were agricultural although there was also a considerable amount of activity in the textile industry.
In the year 1820 the town of Artá suffered the terrible consequences of the plague which caused more than 1.200 victims. In the XIX century the separation of Capdepera and Son Servera took place. Artá still functioned under the one man land ownership system where the landowners were the owners of the best part of the lands of the municipality. At the end of the century, the manufacture of the 'palmito' craft work made from the leaves of the palm tree acquired importance and which employed mainly women workers, which became an indispensable complementary income for the livelihood of many peasant families. In the year 1880, the division in plots of the northwest lands of the estate of "Ferrutx" gave way to the urban nucleus called "Colònia de Sant Pere". This was an agricultural colony which throughout the XX century has acquired a touristic function without losing its traditional character.
In the year 1921 the railway line which connects Artá with Manacor was inaugurated, and as from the sixties, the economy of the municipality varied owing to the touristic boom.
Talaiotic remains of Ses Païses. The territory of Artà was inhabited since a long time ago as the numerous archaeological findings go to show. Of all these, the most outstanding is the talaiotic town of 'Ses Païses', which is the most important and characteristic of the oriental zone of the island of Mallorca.
San Salvador. San Salvador is, without doubt, the most emblematic place of Artà. It is an architectural place surrounded by a wall and in its interior there is a sanctuary. It is possible to arrive there by climbing the 180 steps which begin at the parish church. Its elevated position gives the visitor a privileged view of the town of Artà and all the municipality.
Parish Church of the transfiguration. The present church is of a Gothic style with one nave with a cross vault. The building began in the year 1573 and replaced the antique parish temple. At the beginning of the XVII century the main part of the building was finished, although the complete work was not finished until the beginning of the XIX century (1816).
Regional Museum of Artà. This museum was founded in the year 1927 through the initiative of a group of learned men of Artà, people interested in the study of the historic, archaeological and cultural events of the region.
Priory of Santa María of Bellpuig. In the territory of Bellpuig, at about 3 km to the southeast of the village, the origins of the priory of Santa María de Bellpuig date back to the XIII, when due to the Catalonian conquest, Jaime I gave to the canons (in 1230) of the Catalonian abbey of Bellpuig de les Avellanes, eight farmhouses situated to the north oriental side of Mallorca.
Hermit of Belén. At about 10 km of the nucleus of the population, the 'ermita de Belén' is situated within the antique estate of Ferrutx. It was founded in the year 1805 by members of the hermit communities of Randa and Valldemossa, with the donation of a small plot of land by Jaume Morey to the hermits and with the economic help of other benefactors such as the Cardinal Antoni Despuig.
Na Alcaldesa. This mansion was given to the Town Hall in the year 1986 and has become a public building with a variety of functions. Its rooms include two exhibition halls, a centre of information for youths and a library. At present it also has deposited the documentary of the artist Miquel Barceló. Next to it is the Municipal Theatre.
Franciscan Convent of San Antonio de Padua. The construction of this convent dates back to the XVII century. The church is of one nave only, with tunnel vault and of moderate proportions. It has five chapels on each side. The cloister has the form of a square with twenty four columns and twenty arches made from sandstone. The cistern is in the centre.