Majorca´s Christmas Markets
The best Christmas Markets of the island
Christmas is here and with it its Christmas markets. Because we know you love them, we leave you a list of the best ones of the island.
In many homes, Christmas has already arrived and in the rest, it is coming soon. Chocolates, lights, music and a Christmas tree as big as your entire living room. You won´t only find the magic of Christmas in doors, it is everywhere and in one place in particular, in Christmas markets.
In the markets, you will find from decorations (you will need many of them for such a big tree) to the most typical sweets of this time of the year. If you are patient, you can even get to see Father Christmas!
In the heart of Palma you will find:
- "Fira de Nadal i dels Reis" market: It is the most traditional market of the island and it takes place every Christmas from Monday to Sunday from 10 to 21 hours. You will find its stalls at the Plaza Mayor, las Ramblas, Vía Roma, Plaza de España and Plaza de la Porta Pintada.
If to decorate your Bethlehem is what you are looking for you can head directly to the Plaza Mayor. There, every year, artisans for all around the island create unique figures that are waiting for you to take them home. From the typical "caganer" to the most original three kings and lets nor forget confectioners and bakers. In this market, you will find traditional sweets brought from monasteries and convents in Palma, Valldemossa and Manacor. Who doesn't like a little sweet?
In Ramblas you will be able to enjoy live demonstrations of craftsmen and artists and in Vía Roma, you will eat the best honey, cheese and tmabor d´ametlla (a Majorcan specialty.)
- "Pueblo Español" Christmas market: The new Pueblo Español in Palma, from the 6th to the 11th of December becomes, once again, a true Christmas show. With a hot chocolate in hand, you will enjoy life music, dances and choirs, children's games and all of this surrounded by artificial snow. As in the North Pole, exactly the same!
- "Santa Lucía" market: In the Plaza de Cort the 13th of December, a magical date for the Swedish community, one of the most special Christmas markets takes place. In between its numerous stalls of typical Swedish products as well as the indispensable hot wine (glög), the Swedish community welcomes Christmas with a beautiful procession by the students of the Swedish school of Majorca. Don't be astonished by rows of children dressed in white tunics, wreath, singing Christmas carols and illuminating the way with candles. It's a tradition definitely worth seeing.
Just a few steps away from the city, Christmas magic continues:
- "Puerto Portals" market: From the 6th to the 11th of January Puerto Portals transforms itself into an authentic central Europe market. Jewellery, Christmas presents, decorations and a varied gastronomic offer, this year in food trucks!
- "Santa Ponça" market: Santa Ponça does not fall behind and from the 1st to the 24th of December will set up stands with Christmas products of all types and activities for the ones that like a bit of movement.
- "Port Adriano" market: From the 12th to the 20th of December, Port Adriano becomes a Street Christmas Festival. Music, bouncy castles and Father Christmas inside a Christmas ball. You will have to have a look to believe it. A bit further you will reach the village markets, that I can assure, do not fall behind. These are some of them:
- "Algaida" market:
It is only on for a day, the 20th of December, but that day the entire village gets together to welcome the Christmas celebrations. Turning left or right, you will find stalls all around.
- "Felanitx" market: Felanitx celebrates Christmas with a market that will take place from the 6th of December to the 3rd of January. In its stalls, you will find handmade jewellery and a gastronomic offer that will certainly leave you mouth open.
Head outside, there is a lot to see and enjoy. It´s Christmas!!
- "Lluc" market: The 13th, 14th, 20th and 21st Lluc, a small village surrounded by mountains in the heart of the Tramuntana mountain range, is added to the Christmas market list. Not only in the centre of the village but also in the spiritual centre, the Lluc sanctuary, you will find all that are looking for.